Logs for the Neighborhood Assembly Held on 2020-06-06
June 06, 2020
<sgp_> 0. Introduction
<sgp_> We want to welcome everybody to this Monero Neighborhood Workgroup Assembly!
<sgp_> Hyperlink to agenda on GitHub: https://github.com/monero-project/meta/issues/471
<sgp_> Monero Neighborhood conferences are a dialogue place for something occurring within the Monero Neighborhood, together with different Monero workgroups. We use conferences to encourage the neighborhood to share concepts and supply help.
<sgp_> 1. Greetings
<ErCiccione> Hello people
<msvb-mob> Good day.
<binaryFate> good day!
<sgp_> ping needbrrrrrrr90 sarang
<sgp_> good day everybody 🙂
<sgp_> 2. Neighborhood highlights
<sgp_> See Monero weekly highlights at https://revuo-monero.com
<sgp_> Try assets at https://communityworkgroup.org. It additionally has a calendar you possibly can subscribe to for assembly reminders.
<sgp_> We now have a Twitter! https://twitter.com/xmrcommunity
<sgp_> If we’ve got time throughout open concepts time, please touch upon what you need to use it for.
<sgp_> Diego spoke about Monero on the Messari’s Mainnet 2020 convention. Hopefully they ultimately distribute a recording.
<sgp_> Does anybody have neighborhood (non-workgroup) updates to share?
<sgp_> 3. CCS updates
<sgp_> Funding required:
<sgp_> Norwegian translation of webplate, footers, nav. Menu (1.16 / 6 XMR) https://ccs.getmonero.org/proposals/Norwegian_translation_core.html
<sgp_> Analysis post-quantum methods for Monero (550.06 / 576 XMR) https://ccs.getmonero.org/proposals/research-post-quantum-monero.html
<sgp_> Concepts (to be mentioned):
<sgp_> Swedish cli pockets (Three XMR) https://repo.getmonero.org/monero-project/ccs-proposals/-/merge_requests/147
<sgp_> dEBRUYNE and ErCiccione[m] commented on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/gtjd6g/ccs_proposal_lets_add_support_for_swedish_in_to/
<monerobux> [REDDIT] [CCS Proposal] Lets add help for swedish in to monero cli pockets (self.Monero) | 21 factors (82.0%) | 5 feedback | Posted by writesofrust | Created at 2020-05-30 – 18:43:13
<sgp_> no feedback on this one?
<binaryFate> I do not see a lot worth both, however do not see a purpose to not go it on to funding required
<binaryFate> donors can resolve
<binaryFate> Three XMR may be very small, possibly it’s a good take a look at run of the CCS system by that particular person if nothing else
<sgp_> is the gui and web site already translated?
<ErCiccione> Not an enormous fan of that proposal. We do not even find out about previous experiences as translator and the proposal itself appears fairly lazily written
<ErCiccione> let me examine that
<sgp_> in the event that they haven’t any previous contributions, I feel that is a purpose to not advance
<ErCiccione> We do not have the web site in swedish. We have now the GUI, which is nearly totally translated
<ErCiccione> i am superb with folks not having previous expertise with monero in the event that they present some credentials
<sgp_> did they present any?
<ErCiccione> To my data, no.
<ErCiccione> however we did not ask both
<sgp_> I assume the proposal is on maintain then till that’s resolved
<sgp_> remaining feedback on this one?
<sgp_> second one:
<sgp_> Sarang: analysis funding for 2020 Q3 (492 XMR) https://repo.getmonero.org/monero-project/ccs-proposals/-/merge_requests/148
<sarang> I am going to revisit the quantity previous to opening (if that is determined)
<sgp_> I extremely doubt anybody will remark towards this one
<binaryFate> go go go!!!
<sarang> Completely satisfied to take questions right here or as CCS feedback
<ErCiccione> I already left a thumb up on the MR
<sgp_> 7 thumbs up now
<sgp_> I feel we will proceed since this clearly has common help
<sarang> I am going to examine on the quantity first
<sgp_> after all
<sarang> So please do not merge simply but
<binaryFate> sarang did you focus on with luigi1111 concerning the proposed “secure USD quantity” buffer?
<sarang> It was briefly talked about, however not likely in any extra element
<binaryFate> Let’s focus on and finalize resolution earlier than you adapt quantity
<binaryFate> (resolution is perhaps to not use it, no strain!)
<sgp_> CLSAG Audit with Teserakt and OSTIF (179 XMR) https://repo.getmonero.org/monero-project/ccs-proposals/-/merge_requests/150
<sgp_> Teserakt has already executed half of the audit on their very own resolution
<monerobux> Take a look at failed
<sgp_> no feedback?
<niocbrrrrrr> !donate [undisclosed_amount]
<niocbrrrrrr> please and thanks
<sgp_> haha good
<sgp_> Some other CCS feedback earlier than we transfer on?
<sgp_> 4. Workgroup report
<sgp_> is selsta right here?
<sgp_> a. Daemon/CLI/GUI workgroup
<sgp_> go forward 🙂
<selsta> Must suppose 😛
<selsta> v0.16 was a easy launch and with no main issues.
<selsta> I feel we will quickly put together v0.17 with CLSAG
<sgp_> selsta: do you may have a really perfect launch date for 0.17? since it can require a hardfork
<ErCiccione> Good job btw. Persons are tremendous proud of the brand new GUI and CLI
<selsta> Not but.
<selsta> I need to launch a minimum of 1 month earlier than the hardfork time.
<kinghat[m]> ya the gui is horny af
<sgp_> would you like it to occur earlier than this fall?
<selsta> I’d guess hardfork 2 months after the audit is completed however that is perhaps too optimistic.
<sarang> There’ll should be Trezor/Ledger help in place from these groups
<sarang> and so they’ll in all probability desire a testnet to attempt it out on
<selsta> We have now to present exchanges and different wallets sufficient time to replace.
<dEBRUYNE> Keep in mind that CLSAG additionally requires adjustments from pockets suppliers
<dEBRUYNE> Thus, we’ve got to permit for extra time arguably
<selsta> We’re additionally excited about signing the home windows and macOS launch however that is perhaps a greater subject for the dev assembly
<selsta> code certificates signing*
<ErCiccione> yeah. The issue with the antiviruses must be at checklist mitigated someway. Actually dangerous UX
<selsta> would possibly no not doable to mitigate, however we’ll see
<kinghat[m]> did a kind of hw wallets monero integration get promoted to “full” or “correct” vs simply being a facet factor?
<selsta> you imply ledger?
<kinghat[m]> im undecided 🤔
<sarang> I am in touch with the particular person now answerable for that
<selsta> I didn’t learn from the announcement that they are going to work on Ledger Reside.
<sarang> I have no idea any particulars on that
<selsta> anyway I’m executed with the workgroup replace
<sgp_> thanks selsta!
<selsta> oh and another factor
<selsta> google would possibly add monero to their open supply fuzzer: https://github.com/google/oss-fuzz/pull/3941
<sarang> IIRC moneromooo has been updating the fuzz checks within the codebase
<selsta> this can assist at discover bugs within the monero codebase
<selsta> okay executed now
<sgp_> b. Localization workgroup
<sgp_> ErCiccione any replace?
<ErCiccione> Not a lot. About 50 folks contributed to translate the GUI launch
<kinghat[m]> that is what i learn: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/gwkmcn/ledger_monero_app_new_lead_dev/
<kinghat[m]> > Why? Till now Monero was nonetheless maintained as R&D undertaking on my own. It’s now transferring within the coin integration crew and can attain a brand new state degree. That is as a excellent news.
<monerobux> [REDDIT] Ledger Monero App: New lead dev! (self.Monero) | 149 factors (100.0%) | 38 feedback | Posted by cslashm | Created at 2020-06-04 – 16:21:05
<ErCiccione> It is a good quantity, the best quantity of translators for a launch was 60 IIRC, however do not quote me on that
<sarang> kinghat[m]: I have been lately put in contact with the dev who’s now answerable for that
<sarang> I’ve reached out to get data on their required/desired timeline for a community improve
<sarang> ready to listen to again
<ErCiccione> additionally, Weblate is beginning to catch up. Persons are utilizing it day-after-day and we’ve got about 150 folks on the platform
<ErCiccione> the exercise: https://translate.getmonero.org/#activity
<ErCiccione> beside that, not a lot to report
<kinghat[m]> sorry for the interruption ErCiccione.
<ErCiccione> no downside 🙂
<sgp_> glad to listen to so many individuals helped with 0.16
<sgp_> c. Outreach workgroup
<sgp_> Monero Outreach lately shared their “We Settle for Monero” marketing campaign: https://www.monerooutreach.org/we-accept-monero.html
<sgp_> d. Web site workgroup
<sgp_> numerous cool adjustments right here 🙂
<ErCiccione> Yeah there may be quite a lot of stuff in progress
<ErCiccione> I posted this on reddit at the moment: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/gxnqmf/lets_improve_the_monero_faq_page_on_getmonero/
<monerobux> [REDDIT] Let’s enhance the Monero FAQ web page on GetMonero. What questions/solutions ought to we add? (self.Monero) | 35 factors (95.0%) | 7 feedback | Posted by ErCiccione | Created at 2020-06-06 – 09:17:52
<ErCiccione> I feel we should always enhance the FAQ including as many qestions as doable
<ErCiccione> if anyone has concepts, please put up them on reddit or open a problem
<sgp_> SE is certainly place to begin
<ErCiccione> or write right here if you’d like however there’s a larger probability of me forgetting it 😛
<ErCiccione> sgp_ i used it when i remade the faq, however now i wished so as to add questions that individuals are asking now
<selsta> I don’t suppose making an attempt to switch SE with the web site FAQ is sensible. (Undecided if that’s the intention)
<ErCiccione> I do not intend to switch SE in any respect. I simply suppose that the web site needs to be extra a degree of reference. As a result of individuals are extra more likely to search for solutions there
<sgp_> not changing SE
<selsta> Lots of people google their query and get redirected to SE / Reddit. I doubt that many individuals will learn to an enormous FAQ however possibly that’s simply my opinion.
<sgp_> that is principally for media/journalists imo
<midipoet> what is the story with #monero-defcon
<sgp_> higher for them to reference the location than SE
<selsta> However a FAQ is sensible basically, sure.
<dEBRUYNE> SE has fairly good web optimization fwiw
<dEBRUYNE> They’ll typically seem on prime for a search
<msvb-mob> midipoet: What do you imply what is the story with #monero-defcon?
<sgp_> SE is nice if somebody googles a particular query
<sgp_> FAQ is nice if somebody goes digging
<msvb-mob> midipoet: I see now, let me attempt to repair that.
<selsta> IMO FAQ is extra for common questions on Monero, not too technical issues.
<sgp_> yeah agreed
<ErCiccione> selsta: yep, that is my level
<midipoet> msvb-mob: thankyou!
<kayront> query, there was some speak months in the past about ring sizes growing to epic portions, is that also on the desk?
<kayront> (hello everybody!)
<sgp_> kayront: not with clsags
<sgp_> long term
<ErCiccione> For who is just not conscious of that. I am altering the homepage, you might be welcome to evaluation and take part to the dicussion: https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/pull/948
<ErCiccione> oh virtually forgot
<ErCiccione> We’re engaged on implementing the netlify previews on getmonero
<kayront> sgp_: years?
<ErCiccione> Mainly each time any person open a PR, netlify will construct it and present a preview. That is helpful as a result of folks and not using a constructing setting can see how a PR will appear to be as soon as merged
<ErCiccione> see https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/pull/1016
<ErCiccione> That is one thing i sit up for and that i hope will assist growing the exercise on the monero-site repo
<dEBRUYNE> kayront: Realistically I feel Triptych is 1-1.5 years out
<sarang> There are nonetheless some questions on multisig help on account of some totally different math
<msvb-lab> midipoet: You (and all of us) can now once more entry #monero-defcon.
<midipoet> msvb-lab: thanks :-).
<selsta> ErCiccione: helpful 😀
<ErCiccione> i made a take a look at PR that individuals can use as instance
<midipoet> msvb-lab: there would possibly nonetheless be a permissions challenge…as I get an error making an attempt to put up a message
<binaryFate> ErCiccione I am going to get to the netlify factor tomorrow
<ErCiccione> I PRd the edited homepage. You may see netlify’s remark with a hyperlink
<ErCiccione> that is the PR constructed and deployed
<ErCiccione> thanks binaryfate 🙂
<sarang> ErCiccione: any sensible threat of an attacker fooling somebody into pondering it is the true website?
<sarang> I suppose such an attacker might simply deploy their very own clone of the code, and the area is netlify…
<kayront> requested this in -dev a number of minutes in the past earlier than realizing there is a assembly occurring, does anybody know if this may be doable: ” one other factor: wouldn’t it technically be doable to have an “account viewkey”, reasonably than a wallet-wide one? use instances could be providers that require the viewkey to verify funds, generate addresses and so forth, it is a pretty frequent use case; and for simplicity/backup/sanity causes it is useful to solely have one
<kayront> underlying seed”
<ErCiccione> unlikely IMO
<ErCiccione> however even when they do suppose it is the true web site, there are not any downloads
<ErCiccione> and the hyperlinks are exhausting to mistake. The homepage for instance is constructed right here: https://deploy-preview-17–frosty-jones-8df25a.netlify.app
<sgp_> thanks ErCiccione
<sgp_> anything on the web site?
<sgp_> sarang: are you able to shortly give an replace on MRL?
<ErCiccione> do not suppose so
<sarang> The CLSAG audit course of is continuing properly
* midipoet realises there was a gathering
<sarang> I spent fairly a little bit of time re-running and correcting some tracing evaluation that got here out in a preprint
<sarang> The outcomes are significantly better than the preprint had steered
<sgp_> that was only a class undertaking afaict
<sarang> Sure, but it surely bought some consideration and was excuse to run up to date evaluation anyway
<sgp_> thanks sarang
<sgp_> there’s one subject ErCiccione wished to debate on the assembly
<sgp_> ErCiccione requested to order a while to decide of utilizing “fairly” within the homepage: https://github.com/monero-project/meta/issues/471#issuecomment-639582413
<ErCiccione> yeah let’s get executed with that
<sgp_> I feel it needs to be eliminated
<sgp_> it does not convey the nuances it tried to convey imo
<ErCiccione> I favored it, however i see why folks want to have it eliminated. If it is controversial, let’s simply take away it
<ErCiccione> folks wished to alter “slogan” anyway, no?
<sgp_> yeah there have been different concepts too
<kayront> fwiw i believe it reads a bit like a cop-out
<deedledea> +1 for eradicating it
<kayront> i perceive the thought behind it, however for the uninitiated it in all probability reads extra like “it is in all probability not gonna maintain my stuff non-public”
<sarang> The thought was that privateness and safety at all times depend upon threat and risk fashions
<sgp_> who will get that from “fairly” although if they do not already get that
<binaryFate> take away it please, it is solely in geek circles that individuals would possibly get the trustworthy that means. We’re very trustworthy if folks dig extra, no must confuse on the homepage
<kayront> yeah sarang, iirc QubesOS used/makes use of “fairly safe” as nicely, in actuality that is what it’s as a result of nothing might be 100% protected
<kayront> however for brand spanking new folks the nuance will probably be misplaced i reckon
<sgp_> any remaining feedback?
<sarang> I am not tied to that particular wording. So long as the presentation is trustworthy and affordable
<sgp_> okay, we will wrap up then. thanks in your endurance as we went over
<sgp_> 6. Verify subsequent assembly date/time
<sgp_> The following neighborhood assembly will probably be in 2 weeks on 20 June at 17:00 UTC.
<sgp_> The following Espresso Chat is on Saturday 27 June at 17:00 UTC
<ErCiccione> alright, i will take away it tomorrow
<sgp_> That’s all! Thanks for attending this Monero Neighborhood assembly, and we hope to see you on r/MoneroCommunity and #monero-community. Take care, STAY SAFE AND ISOLATED, and know that change begins with YOU.
Put up tags : Dev Diaries, Cryptography