Published weekly as a summary of Chrysalis phase 2 updates. Please click here if you want to ready the full monthly dev status update.
IOTA 1.5 (also known as Chrysalis) is the mainnet’s intermediate stage before Coordicide is complete. You can read more about the strategy for releasing Chrysalis here.
The Chrysalis phase 1 components were deployed to mainnet in August. The engineering team is now working on Chrysalis phase 2.
- The Bee team has successfully connected a Bee node to Hornet nodes on the Chrysalis testnet.
- The rest of the new API endpoints are being finalized this week.
- Will now begin moving crates to the main Bee repository.
- Upcoming focus will be largely on documentation and auditing the necessary crates.
- The Hornet team has been making fixes in the networking stack.
- Refactoring of gossip, tangle and snapshot plugins.
- Adding network ids to the message layout.
- Adding MQTT to the node implementation.
- Changed the build system to make use of Go 1.15.5.
Our Rust implementation of standard client library and wallet functionalities
- Finished reviewing the Rust library, iota.rs according to the specifications.
- Next up, we will be working on reattachments, promotion and retry logic.
- Python bindings for the iota.rs library will follow.
- Added the first integration with Hornet’s MQTT interface.
- Investigating how we can use MQTT for state update events in the wallet.rs library.
Crypto.rs is a crate for all cryptographic algorithms used by many of the projects at IF. Stronghold is a secure software implementation for safe digital secrets isolation.
- We are aiming to publish the library to crates.io this week.
- Merged a PR for ed25519 (using ed25519-zebra), blake2b and curl_p.
- Work started on bindings (Neon for js), CI is being set up.
- This will be one of the most important bits to audit for Chrysalis phase 2. An audit of this and other libraries is being scheduled.
- The Stronghold library is being refactored.
- Top-level library for Stronghold is in progress, this will be used as an entry point to Stronghold for all-consuming applications (and bindings).
Chrysalis phase 2 will come with a new wallet implementation that replaces Trinity.
- Work continues on hooking up wallet.rs to the wallet application.
- We would like to have a first wallet alpha available for the community in the upcoming weeks.
- The new Ledger Nano application, replacing WOTS with Ed25519 is in progress.
- Finalizing the wallet UI after several iterations.
- Work on a CLI wallet and faucet will commence shortly, this will help us with testing the wallet and libraries on the testnet.
We are now in a phase of testing Chrysalis functionality on a private testnet. Once we have concluded the initial tests of node software and client library implementations, and we have all the supporting software ready, we will make the testnet public.
A large part of the Chrysalis phase 2 effort is auditing the new functionality. We have booked the relevant availability with multiple external auditing firms for the upcoming weeks to start auditing the different components as soon as possible.
As always, we welcome everyone to stop by on Discord — every project mentioned here has a channel (or more) for discussion with the devs!
Follow us on Twitter to keep track of all the latest news: https://twitter.com/iotatoken