Axie Infinity is a decentralized game and digital collectibles platform built on the Ethereum Blockchain. It allows players to breed, buy, sell, and train Axie creatures.
The game revolves around trading and collecting digital creatures called Axies. Each creature has unique attributes such as size, color, markings, and more. These attributes are called “traits,” They can be passed down to offspring when two parents breed together. The offspring will then have traits from both parents (and possibly other traits inherited from other ancestors).
Players can make money by selling their Axies on the marketplace or by breeding them with other players to create new combinations of traits for sale on the marketplace. This is similar to how Pokémon Trading Cards work: you buy packs of cards hoping for certain rare or valuable cards inside each pack. In Axie Infinity, you buy Axies hoping that they have rare or valuable traits that you can then sell at a profit on the marketplace.
Axie Infinity is a free-to-play collectible card game where players battle against each other using their customized “axie” (their avatar) to win battles against other players. Players can choose between two game modes: 1v1, where they can challenge another player directly or play against AI opponents, and 2v2, where teams of two face off against each other and AI opponents.
Who is The Team Behind Axie Infinity?
Axie Infinity is the brainchild of Axie Lab, an independent group of developers founded in 2015. The team at Axie Lab has more than ten years of experience developing games for both web and mobile platforms.
A team with extensive experience in blockchain projects also makes up Axie Lab – the co-founder of this project is Tony Xu, who has worked on projects like Loopring and Qtum. Other key members of the team include Rob Jarratt (former Game Designer at Blizzard Entertainment), Greg McMullen (Developer at Electronic Arts), and Jack Yu (Founder of Loopring).
How Does Axie Infinity Work?
Axie Infinity is entirely built around NFTs, and the only way to play the game right now is by buying the three NFTs needed to create your first team. You can buy starter packs of three Axies for $9.99 each or individually for $4.99 each.
Once you have your Axies, you can start playing. The game is a battle arena where you pit them against other people’s Axies in one-on-one battles and earn experience points that level them up and make them stronger.
The more you level up, the more abilities and skills you can unlock for your team members through mutation, which allows you to customize your team members in whatever way suits your style of play best.
You also collect tokens from battles that allow you to purchase new skins for your Axies, which change their appearance but not their stats or abilities.
You can either battle against each other or face creatures called Chimeras. To battle against these creatures, you need your team of three Axies to launch various strategies. Also, depending on the type of Axies possessed, you can execute different attack and defense styles.
Each Axie has a set of battling capabilities that determine which battle roles it can be assigned. These include Tank, DPS, and Support.
- Tank: Tanks absorb damage in team fights and are usually the first to engage the enemy team. They tend to have high HP and Defense stats but lower Damage output.
- DPS – DPS (Damage Per Second) deals damage during team fights by attacking enemies. They tend to have high Attack and Speed stats but low HP (health) and Defense stats.
- Support: Supports do not deal much damage during team fights but provide utility buffs for other teammates, such as healing or crowd control effects (stuns). They tend to have low Attack and Speed stats but high HP and Defense stats (armor).
The AXS and SLP token; The Axie Infinity Tokens
The Axie Infinity tokens are ERC-20 tokens that you can use to buy and sell your Axies. There will be two types of tokens:
- AXS (Axie Infinity Shares) – The token that gives you a share of ownership in each Axie and voting rights on critical decisions and a portion of the revenue from the game. The main role of AXS is to be used as a currency for players to purchase new Axies, skins, items, and more in the marketplace. The secondary role of AXS is to be used as collateral when breeding an Axie with a higher chance of producing one with better stats.
- SLP (Special Limited Edition) – This special token is only available for sale during special events, such as holidays or other special occasions. It does not allow you to own any Axies or voting rights on important decisions. SLP (Smooth Love Protocol) is used to level up your Axies by feeding them slime, obtained through battles or by converting other currencies into SLP directly through the marketplace. You can also get slime by completing quests or staking your Axies in battles against other players’ Axies.
How to Transact in AXS?
Buying Axies is a simple process. Here are six important steps to note:
- You need to create an account on a cryptocurrency exchange, like Uniswap.
- Then, you can purchase Axies using BTC and ETH or swap. Once the transaction is confirmed, your Axies will be delivered to your wallet.
- The process for selling AXS differs slightly from buying them. You can sell your Axie for ETH by following the steps below:
- Create an account on the Axie website.
- Navigate to the “Marketplace” tab on the homepage.
- Select “Sell” from the drop-down menu next to each asset.
This will open up a form where you can enter an asking price for each of your assets (in ETH) and specify how long you want to offer them for sale (a minimum of 30 minutes). You will also see a field for entering a URL associated with your asset, displayed in its listing on the marketplace page.
What makes Axie Infinity Stand out?
Axie Infinity leverages blockchain technology to drive gaming into Web 3.0, an era where decentralized applications will rule the internet. While other trials have existed in the past, Axie Infinity is the first game to entice its players with a real, functional economy. It’s theoretically possible for players to earn a generous income by simply playing the game.
The game has also attracted a lot of attention from the crypto community because it is one of the games that balance the needs of both casual and hardcore gamers. While many games are designed around either casual or hardcore gameplay, Axie Infinity offers both options at once – making it an ideal choice for those looking for more variety in their gaming experience.
In addition to its unique gameplay model, Axie Infinity also offers an extremely low barrier to entry. Its game mechanics are easy enough for anyone with basic computer skills to understand and enjoy playing immediately after downloading the game. This allows players with little or no prior experience with blockchain technology to get started right away and start earning rewards from their efforts in the game!
Hacks and Vulnerabilities of Axie Infinity
Although Axie Infinity was able to create a successful play-to-earn game, it was victimized by hackers in March who stole around US$600 million (around US$550 million at the time) in Ether and USDC from the Ronin Bridge. Sky Mavis has since vowed to compensate user losses and raised $150 million from Binance and other investors.
Axie Infinity is the first game collection built on the blockchain, and it will surely provide hours of endless enjoyment. If you’re interested in trading, exploring the world of Axie Infinity, or collecting strange creatures called “axis” in a virtual pet-style setting, this game is something that you should add to your radar of games to watch. Of course, you can play Axie Infinity without investing any money into it and still have fun by simply playing and exploring the online universe—but if you want to make some Axies (Axie Infinity’s currency), you’re going to need to invest some time and effort into both collecting cute creature cards, as well as playing in tournaments and other competitive events.
Featured Image: Megapixl © 777ers